Conduct a Satellite Symposium at APhA2019
You’ll find unparalleled access to pharmacists nationwide at the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) 2019 Annual Meeting & Exposition. Nearly 6,000 pharmacists and pharmacy professionals from every practice setting will gather at APhA2019 for 4 days of professional education, career enhancement, and networking.
Take advantage of this unbeatable opportunity by providing a customized event to this key audience. Join APhA in Seattle, WA, March 22-25, 2019, and conduct a satellite symposium! The application deadline has been extended to Tuesday, January 22.
Benefits of Conducting a Satellite Symposium at APhA2019
- Nearly 6,000 pharmacy professionals, including community, hospital, and managed care pharmacists; pharmaceutical scientists; student pharmacists; pharmacy technicians; and others involved in advancing the profession.
- Highlight your important patient care activities.
- Increase the visibility of your initiatives among practicing pharmacists and key decision makers.
Application Process and Deadline
Activity proposals should be submitted using the APhA2019 Satellite Symposia application. The application deadline has been extended to Tuesday, January 22. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants are notified in writing of acceptance of their symposium proposal—with confirmation of assigned date, time slot, and location—on a rolling notification basis starting Monday, January 7.
All submissions for satellite symposia are subject to review and approval by APhA. Each symposium is evaluated on the following criteria:
- Objectivity, balance, and scientific rigor of the activity; the proposal will not be accepted if it is judged to be promotional rather than educational in nature.
- Relevance to the contemporary practice of pharmacy.
- Timeliness of subject matter.
- Extent to which the activity proposals present a variety of topics; activities that address the same topic area will not be scheduled concurrently.
- Satellite symposia dates include:
- Saturday, March 23, 2018 • 6:00-8:00 am or 6:00-9:00 pm
- Sunday, March 24, 2018 • 6:00-8:00 am or 6:00-9:00 pm
- The proposed length of the symposium must not exceed the time frames offered.
- APhA does not provide a speaker ready room for satellite symposia speakers.
- Sponsoring organizations may request their preferred date and time from the following schedule. To avoid topic duplication in scheduling, APhA retains the right to make final scheduling decisions.
The fee of $12,000 per satellite symposium includes:
- One meeting room at the APhA2019 conference location.
- Symposium announcement on the APhA2019 website (linking to your organization’s website, if desired).
- Symposium announcement in the APhA2019 Program Guide.
- One complimentary set of conference preregistrant labels available 3–4 weeks before the meeting.
Note: APhA does not guarantee attendance at symposia and will not refund a sponsor’s fee on the basis of attendance.
Notice of cancellation must be received in writing. Sponsoring organizations are held responsible for 50% of the symposium fee upon cancellation of a confirmed satellite symposium after Thursday, January 31.
- APhA seeks satellite activities that focus on pharmaceutical care and contemporary pharmacy practice issues, including disease management, legal issues, professional development, pharmaceutical science, nuclear pharmacy, and patient care assessment skills.
- Organizations offering a satellite symposium must provide continuing pharmacy education (CPE) to all qualified participants attending the activity. It is solely the responsibility of the sponsoring organization to provide or arrange for CPE credit by an organization accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). APhA does not participate in or have responsibility for the development and planning of satellite symposia and therefore is unable to provide CPE credit for these activities.
- Organizations requesting satellite symposia must have written confirmation that funding has been secured before submitting an application to APhA.
- Sponsoring organizations are responsible for the following functions:
- Establishing a direct-bill application with the meeting facility.
- Assuming the cost for advertising, audiovisual equipment rental, technicians, food and beverage, and any other expenses related to meeting management.
- Designing, printing, and distributing symposium invitations.
- Providing on-site management of the symposium.
- Registering symposium attendees. No additional registration fees for attendance at a satellite symposium may be required of APhA’s registered attendees.
- All promotional materials, including invitational mailers, online invitations, websites, hotel door drops, and signage, must receive APhA approval before distribution or posting. Please allow 10 business days for this process and factor this requirement into your production timeline.
- Promotional samples should be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to the APhA Education Department for approval.
- Connection to APhA2019 must be indicated on all promotional materials using the following statement: “A satellite symposium held in conjunction with APhA2019.”
- Certain information is required on all promotional materials to comply with ACPE guidelines. Required information includes:
- Educational goals and/or specific learning objectives
- Target audience
- Faculty members and their credentials (degree and position)
- Fees/refund information using the following statement: “There is no fee for this activity.”
- Schedule of educational activities (including location and time of activity)
- Educational activities (those assigned CEUs) distinguished from non-educational activities (breakfast/dinner, breaks, etc.)
- Amount of credit (contact hours and/or CEUs)
- ACPE logo (including trademark) and provider statement
- Universal Activity Number(s)
- Activity type (i.e., knowledge-based activity or application-based activity)
- Full description of requirements for credit (e.g., sign-in sheet, evaluation form)
- Acknowledgment of financial support (if applicable)
- Statement of where, how, and when a Statement of Credit is issued
Hotel Door Drops
Connect with meeting attendees by participating in APhA’s Door Drop program on Friday night during APhA2019. Through this service, symposia promotional materials are delivered directly to registered meeting attendees’ hotel rooms. For more information, contact Tom Marshall, Convention Communications, at 513-934-3700.
Advertising in Annual Meeting News
APhA also offers symposium sponsors the opportunity to advertise in Pharmacy Today Annual Meeting News, the official on-site magazine of APhA’s Annual Meeting & Exposition. Featuring highlights of each day’s events, Pharmacy Today Annual Meeting News serves as the main source of up-to-the-minute meeting coverage and is the perfect vehicle for delivering your message to nearly 6,000 attendees. For more information, contact Ron Gordon at 973-214-4374.
Professional Education Opportunities
APhA can develop, manage, and execute complete turnkey satellite symposia that are custom-tailored to meet your organization’s needs. Using top medical experts and leading researchers and innovators, APhA creates comprehensive educational activities that provide cutting-edge information on pharmacy practice and patient care topics. APhA delivers these symposia activities at APhA2019 as well as at other national and regional meetings. For more information on this and other services provided by APhA’s Access Programs, contact Steve Mankofsky at 202-223-7198.
For more information, contact Patricia Szybist at 202-429-7578.